Food Science Intern
JOB TITLE: Food Scientist – Summer Intern
LOCATION: Seattle, WA area (Tukwila)
SCHEDULE: M-F, 8:00 AM -5:00 PM
DURATION: May/ June – August/ September
Continental Mills is a leading national manufacturer of baking mixes, coatings, beverage mixes, sauces, and snacks for the food industry in retail, club store and food service categories. Some of our brands include Krusteaz, Ghirardelli, Krusteaz Professional, Alpine, Albers, Wild Roots, True Bliss, Kretschmer and Snoqualmie Falls.
Assist the Research and Development team with new product development, optimization, and ingredient functionality of retail and food service ingredients and finished products. This position will provide the opportunity to experience food product research activities in a corporate setting with exposure to production plant facilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND INFLUENCE:
- Participates in product development and commercialization process and develops an understanding of ingredient technology and function.
Prepares and evaluates consumer baking mixes, coatings, beverages, sauces, and snacks
- 80% Hands-on research and development
- 20% Data processing
- Performs other duties and project teams as assigned.
Is responsible for conducting a research project
- Lead and execute a research project
- Present results to the company at the end of the intern period
- Prepare and lead a short course with literature to be shared with the RD team on a topic relevant to the food industry as it applies to Continental Mills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong written, oral, and facilitation skills
- Excellent listener
- Ability to ask questions and act upon the information presented
- Working knowledge of scientific techniques and standard lab equipment.
- Strong desktop applications competence (Excel, Access, Word)
- Keen attention to detail
- Problem solving skills and ability
Personal and Social Competence
- High integrity and honesty, promoting trust in all actions
- Discretion, professionalism and ability to hold confidential information
- Strong work ethic w/ a desire to learn
- Flexible, and adaptive with the ability to handle changing timelines and priorities.
- Timeline oriented
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a food laboratory and manufacturing environment
- Ability to stand, bend, and lift product (up to 40 lbs.)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of Junior year and currently working towards a B.S. or M.S in Food Science or related field.
- 1 year of Chemistry - Food Chemistry Fundamentals Preferred
- Food Safety and Sanitation Coursework
- Must be 18 years of age and legal to work without sponsorship in the United States
The policy of Continental Mills, Inc. is to hire, train, and promote all persons in all job groups in accordance with law, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, presence of sensory, mental or physical disability, Vietnam veteran, or national origin.
Some college, no degree or better in Food Science or related field.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.