Director of Food Safety #3575S
A special opportunity to take the successful food safety program of a berry shipper to the next level, joining a vibrant team of hardworking team players. where people get along, enjoy their work and each other, while working hard and together. If you’re seeking a great culture and work environment, where people work hard and play hard, you can make a good living, make a difference, and live in a beautiful place; then don’t pass up looking into this job further. We provide an excellent benefit package (nearly 100% for employees) including wellness programs, profit sharing, 401K (with match) and more!
If you’re looking for your last job and not just your next job, then you may have found something special here… let’s talk!
We are a year-round supplier of fresh berries with farms throughout the Americas. We have been a family owned and operated company for more than eight decades and are a vibrant, energetic organization that continues to evolve. As we grow our business, we have made it a priority to hire fresh, sharp and dedicated professionals, currently looking for an experienced leader in Food Safety to join our leadership team.
The Director of Food Safety will provide leadership and insight into the development, implementation and continuous improvement of company food safety programs. As a food safety expert, this person will be responsible for solidifying all current food safety principles (ensuring compliance with all federal and local regulations) executing such principals throughout the production of over 1,000 acres as well as production of our extensive independent growing partners.
- Lead the development, implementation, and on-going program management of SQF, Primus GFS, Global Gap, FSMA, and other regulatory food safety compliance requirements.
- Ensure Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) compliance, responsible for staying current and implementing changes as laws expand and develop over time.
- Ensure compliance with requirements related to PrimusGFS Benchmark.
- Ensure Foreign Supplier Verification Process (FSVP) compliance and assist export partners.
- Responsible for full cycle management of the auditing process - prepare, coordinate and follow through all internal, customer, regulatory, and third-party audits.
- Obtain a full understanding of the traceability of products. Oversee and manage all mock recalls, complete with documentation and process improvements.
- Provide guidance and be an educational and training resource for growers and assist with proper documentation for grower audits.
- Oversee and manage both the domestic and international supplier compliance process to ensure proper documentation of food safety programs and testing.
- Responsible for creating, implementing and managing compliance checklists and continuously improving food safety manuals to stay current with regulations. Oversee management of documents, record controls, logs, and data required by food safety protocol.
- Oversee preparation of lab documentation and sampling processes for multiple locations.
- Create training regime and oversee management of all training records according to food safety and quality requirements.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with internal teams, specifically the Senior Management Team and Grower Relations Supply Team.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where food safety concerns are relevant, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety.
- Solutions driven individual with professional demeanor with strong leadership ability.
- Master’s degree in Food Safety, Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, or other science related field. Bachelor’s degree considered with combination of professional experience.
- 10+ years of high-level food safety/food science experience, with at least 5 years in a management capacity working with regulatory affairs (USDA and/or FDA).
- Experience in fresh produce industry preferred.
- Proven professional audit experience with third party external auditors.
- Previous experience with SQF, Primus GFS, Global Gap, and/or FSMA.
- HACCP Certification from a nationally / internationally recognized and accredited body.
- Previous experience with SQF Expert Practitioner PCQI is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple high-level projects under minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel (10-20%).
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.