Food Safety Manager
Clyde’s Delicious Donuts, located in Addison, IL, is a family-owned and operated-business that has been making donuts/fritters for over 99 years. Clyde’s has a national footprint selling through private-label, retail and contract customers to in-store supermarkets bakeries, convenience stores, foodservice groups, distributors and contract manufacturing customers across the country. As Clyde’s continues to grow and expand, we need top notch individuals to help us achieve our results. Join our team and keep our consumers smiling!
Reporting to the Director of Regulatory, the Food Safety Manager is responsible for providing proactive leadership and instruction in the area of Food Safety within the Company. The Food Safety Manager oversees the implementation of the requirements, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the food safety system. This position serves as the lead for product recall and interacts with customers for all issues related to food safety.
The Food Safety Manager is responsible for documenting key controls and reporting program compliance. This position is also responsible for tracking and communicating Food Safety Key Performance Indicators and working with the leadership team to identify areas for continuous improvement. This role frequently partners with stakeholders from Operations, Finance, Sales, Procurement and HR/Safety to provide food safety leadership and subject matter expertise.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Act as the food safety and HACCP team leader; routinely audit food safety practice programs, including but not limited to HACCP, Food Safety, Food Defense, Regulatory Compliance, Allergen Program, GMP’s, Recalls and Microbiological/Environmental Testing Programs, to objectively evaluate performance and provide feedback to other personnel as necessary, ensuring compliance with Preventive Controls Program and any Regulatory requirements (federal, state/provincial, local).
- Develop, implement and execute all food safety related strategies, policies and procedures; maintain open communication with all related departments to address the identification of food safety hazards and process improvement opportunities.
- Communicate up-to-date knowledge of current labeling and food product regulations to leadership.
- Ensure compliance to federal food safety standards not limited to FDA & FSMA.
- Review, interpret and evaluate food products and labels to ensure compliance with relevant food regulations, as defined.
- Responsible for the review and/or development of ingredient statements, allergen statements and nutrition facts panels.
- Review package graphics for compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements, domestic and international, (including product claims).
- Provide regulatory guidance and answer compliance-related questions regarding food products, in accordance with emerging/new regulations.
- Provide compliance recommendations by conducting research, advising of upcoming regulations and evaluating the overall impact on the business.
- Work with business partners and stakeholders to identify regulatory requirements for products and labels, per the defined business requirements, to meet food safety and compliance standards and to ensure product safety.
- Maintain/manage a database for ingredients, products and labeling requirements for packaged foods.
- Create and define workflows for label reviews, product reviews and sign-off processes needed by required business teams.
- Assist in designing and creating metrics and reporting criteria to deliver to the business teams for processes owned.
- Maintain, verify and archive all food safety related data as required by IFS audit, Food Safety/HACCP and local/state/federal regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for developing and ensuring all employees are trained adequately on food safety, GMP's, quality assurance concepts, HACCP, policies and procedures
- Implement and manage compliance with the Supplier Approval program for non-branded suppliers.
- Review HACCP/Food safety plan when new ingredients, packaging and finished goods are introduced to the facility. Ensure all risks are identified, reviewed and communicated to leadership.
- Verify and audit the Food Safety capabilities, conditions and execution of food safety procedures for any third-party warehouses used for over-flow storage.
- Provide assistance to internal and external auditors during compliance reviews.
- Handle and oversee the product recall process to ensure timely communication and execution of product recalls and completion of related documentation.
- Review shelf life capabilities of ingredients and products.
- Back up Quality Assurance Manager as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree (Food Science, Biology or Microbiology or related field)
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Food Service Operations or Quality Assurance/Control, managing Food Safety and GFSI programs
- Knowledge of product traceability
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing, maintaining, monitoring and auditing food safety and quality programs
- Strong working knowledge of Continuous Process Improvement
- Strong knowledge in the areas of food safety, food processing technology, sanitation practices, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), HACCP principles and FSMA rules
- Sound PC skills (MS Office)
- Strong analytical, written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented leader with strong decision-making skills
- Proven leadership competencies in driving resolution/results, creative problem solving and improving food safety and quality performance consistency
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.