Food Safety and Quality Director
Calyxt is seeking a highly motivated and results-oriented Food Safety and Quality Director. This individual will provide leadership and direction on building food safety and quality systems for our products, with our High Oleic Soybean being the very first gene-edited product to complete the USDA and FDA review process. This individual will play a key role to establish Calyxt as a trusted partner to food brands seeking healthier ingredients that are sustainably produced with full traceability in across the supply chain.
This position will be responsible for integration of quality across the organization in all functions and across all levels through the development, refinement and execution of a quality management system that ensures compliance to appropriate food safety, regulatory, customer and quality requirements. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work in a highly motivated cross-functional team environment to build a food safety and quality culture.
Calyxt is committed to making the food you love a healthier choice. The care we take extends beyond nutritional value. We partner with farmers and food companies to deliver traceable plant-based products developed to be healthier and more sustainable than their conventional counterparts. We use cutting edge plant breeding techniques to develop products that help improve diets by reducing bad fats, allergens and toxins. Today oil from our high oleic soybean plants has lower saturated fats than commodity soybean oil. We are also developing high fiber wheat designed to provide an excellent source of daily fiber when incorporated into wheat-based foods. We continuously pursue innovation to deliver good food that is good for you.
- Establish a food safety and quality culture through development, implementation and continuous refinement of key Food Safety and Quality systems and protocols from the product development phase through the entire supply chain to the end customer.
- Create an internal network of champions across functions who will promote and adhere to food safety and quality practices and behaviors to deliver products that are safe and within customer specifications.
- Collaborate with external third parties engaged in the supply chain to manage food safety and quality throughout all the activities.
- Forge partnerships within cross-functional teams, including R&D, supply chain and sales, to understand company business and processes, identifying the most efficient, effective strategic direction for food safety and quality management.
- Ensure food safety and quality issues are successfully resolved including effective use of root cause analyses and corrective and preventative action tools.
- Responsible for ongoing employee training designed to keep employees engaged and informed of food safety and quality programs and requirements.
- Work jointly with R&D on the development and commercialization of new products to ensure they follow company policies, SOPs, and specifications
- Oversee compliance of all customer specification and documentation systems.
- Bachelor degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Microbiology or equivalent Scientific Discipline.
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in food product quality/food safety, ideally in a food ingredients company.
- Knowledge of FSMA, HACCP and FDA requirements and ability to translate them into practical policies and protocols across the company activities.
- Ability and willingness to be hands-on.
- Strong track record of building effective cross-functional collaborations to create food safety and product quality culture.
- Demonstrated leadership involving process improvement projects, auditing and leading teams through influence.
- Solid organizational and time management skills to ensure successful and timely documentation and completion of projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience building quality systems and protocols.
- Experience with food manufacturing process both at the plant and corporate level.
- PCQI certificate.
- Previous participation in the new food product development.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.