Quality Systems Specialist
Calumet Carton Company is a leading packaging manufacturer located in South Holland, IL. Our products include rigid mailing envelopes, custom designed and printed folding cartons and small flute corrugated boxes. Sold under the nationally known Stayflats® and Stayflats Plus® brands, our mailing products are marketed throughout the United States in several ways, including packaging catalogs, distributors and also factory direct. Our custom packaging solutions are sold through a select group of distributors.
The Quality Systems Specialist (QSS) will be required to work independently and have excellent attention to detail, a professional appearance and communication style, and a quality-improvement mindset. This is an active role that requires understanding of the ISO 9001 Quality Standard as well as Safe Quality Food (SQF) Edition 8 standard for Packaging Facilities. The ideal candidate will be familiar with worldwide quality system requirements including SQF, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), and ISO 9901:2015.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assist with the Company’s quality systems, food safety program and objectives.
- Write, proofread, maintain and circulate quality and food safety system documentation
- Process change orders and related documentation
- Conduct internal and external audits to ensure that they are adequately performed, documented, reviewed, and closed
- Evaluate customer complaints, production control and other assigned duties.
- Create and implement inspection criteria and procedures
- Review, modify and maintain manufacturing procedures and documents as part of continuing process improvements
- Maintain equipment calibration, validation, and maintenance records to ensure they are performed correctly and on time
- Train quality and food safety information as assigned
- Investigate, implement and review effectiveness checks associated with the CAPA program as directed
- Provide support during Food Safety inspections and audits, ISO Certification, surveillance audits, and customer audits
- Perform all audits associated with Food Safety
- Maintain active attendance in all Quality, Food Safety, and Process Improvement meetings
- Support the QA department when Quality Manager is absent
- Perform other related duties as required
- Comply with company policies and procedures
Salary & Benefits
- Full time salary position, commensurate with experience.
- Company paid health, dental and vision plan.
- 401(k) Company sponsored retirement plan.
- Company paid holidays and vacation.
- General knowledge of ISO quality systems and Food Safety; Implementation certified preferred
- Must be certified as an internal auditor by a nationally recognized registrar
- Able to read CAD specifications, print cards, and customer specifications efficiently
- College educated preferred. Tenure in a quality related field would be accepted.
- Related college degree and/or appropriate technical courses or Associate’s (A.A.) degree
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in related field
- Prior work experience in the packaging industry, quality assurance field a plus
Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.