Director of Food Safety & Product Quality
This leadership position sets the standard for expectations, quality, product safety, attention to detail, and operational style for these areas of our business. Protect the brand from recall, government intervention, and substandard quality and product safety below customer's expectations. They will challenge current practices to improve associate welfare, quality, product safety and profitability. This individual must wear many hats. They will be responsible for these critical areas of this facility. Mitigate USDA regulatory compliance affairs, and answer customer complaints. In addition to staying current in all aspects in these areas, must act as a liaison for the company in dealing with government officials, outside auditors and customers. This individual must have the ability to apply sound decision-making solutions to complex issues.
- This position requires a person who has analytical skills, can weigh inputs from others and measure the pros and cons before making quality and product safety decisions. This person must be able to achieve results through others and at the same time complete tasks, some of which may be repetitive. Quality, safety and timely results must share the spotlight in all activities.
- While responding to problems and challenges, this person must have the drive to succeed, demonstrate adaptability in most situations, maintain an emphasis on quality and product safety while meeting production requirements, and be able to engage others in the problem-solving process.
- In a constantly changing environment of USDA regulations, customer requirements and operations, exceptions will be a constant challenge and this person must demonstrate emotional stability and stress tolerance. This person will always have multiple agendas/projects, a need to question procedures, and to challenge others to seek new levels of performance
- This position requires a person who will respond to rules and regulations in a professional and consistent manner. This area of manufacturing is a customer showplace. This person must articulate and respond in a way that establishes a high level of quality and product safety in all the department does.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct all Food Safety and Product Quality Departmental Functions across multiple plant locations.
- Oversee Daily Implementation of Food Safety and Product Quality Activities.
- Ensure appropriate staffing needed to implement FSQ activities.
- Monitor Flock Testing and Animal Care/Well Being.
- Conduct and participate in both internal and external audits.
- Develop, implement and maintain programs to assure quality, safety and animal well-being.
- Interact with production, lab, live operations, customers, government officials and other individuals or groups as needed to assure Butterball's mission is properly communicated in a professional and productive manner.
- Supervise and mentor associate on job performance and allow associate growth for potential careers within Butterball.
- Direct the budget and costs associated with the department functions.
- Facilitate plants approval processes for new and existing customers.
- Resolve customer complaint concerns.
- Responsible for implementation of policies/procedures related to Good Manufacturing Processes, food safety and quality standards etc. throughout the facilities.
- Evaluate/Approve new processes and equipment to meet food safety standards and advise for improvement.
- Work to commercialize new products into the facility.
- Work to bring co-pack products into the facility.
- Facilitate sales, and other corporate directives into the facilities.
- Lead various quality, cost reduction, etc. projects as needed across the processing facilities.
- BA or BS Degree science related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in leadership position within food/meat/poultry processing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills
- Analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Solid knowledge of utilization on on-line tools for data capture and reporting.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Knowledge of USDA Regulations
- Subject matter expertise / certification in Quality Leadership, Continuous Improvement, Lean Six Sigma or similar.
- Advanced degree in science related field.
- Position will require travel to both NC facilities and the Midwest plant locations on a periodic basis (quarterly). Other miscellaneous travel will be required.
- Facility FSQ and R&D Teams
- Facility Operations Management
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.