Food Safety & Quality Assurance Manager
The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the retail food safety and supplier management programs. They are responsible for developing, evaluating, and enforcing policies for large volume retail designed to increase workplace safety at all levels of the company.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Health, Environmentl Health, Microbiology, Food Science/Technology, or equivalent required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in food handling, sanitation, or public health preferred
- Must obtain all professional licenses required by local law or regulation
- Familiarly with retail, c-store, or grocery operations
- Food Safety Management experience required
- Knowledge of FDA Food Code, FSMA, HACCP, USDA required
- Knowledge and expertise in handling recalls, withdrawals, and/or crisis situations
- Proficient skill level in MS Office, including but not limited to Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Continually develop and enhance a comprehensive, proactive, and effective food safety management system
- Promote and drive a culture of continuous improvement for all retail food safety activities and supplier management programs
- Develop and implement food safety goals, objectives, policies, and procedures such as HACCP, sanitation, temperature logs, cleaning list, code dating, and other required programs for retail stores
- Monitor and assist retail stores regarding compliance with local, state, and federal food safety and health standards
- Oversee collection and analysis of statistical data (health department critical violations, pest control, sanitation, etc.) to establish and monitor key performance indicators
- Utilize key performance indicators to determine the need for unscheduled food safety and sanitation audits and identify opportunities for improvement
- Develop, implement, and monitor food safety and quality assurance supplier management program to ensure compliance with Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), brand standards, quality control of food products and general merchandise, and company policies
- Serve as key contact for identification and resolution for food safety and quality issues for marketing, private label, sourcing, and procurement teams, as well as federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
- Lead investigation and resolution of product food safety and quality issues stemming from customer complaints or through internal reporting
- Evaluate new products and monitor existing merchandise to ensure they meet all applicable company and regulatory food safety and quality assurance specifications and requirements
- Ensure quality assurance monitoring activities are effective and properly executed by suppliers and report on trends and deficiencies with a supplier scorecard system
- Implement and manage a quality assurance document control system
- Conduct audits of supplier distribution centers and manufacturing facilities as needed to ensure compliance with company standards
- Develop and oversee recall/withdrawal process and drive recall/withdrawal compliance within the Company and among suppliers
- Manage pest control program for all retail stores; track and analyze data to identify potential problems, develop and incorporate best practices, and partner with operations, facilities maintenance, and pest control contractors to implement corrective actions when necessary
- Assist in representing the Company at regulatory hearings involving food safety and quality control
- Develop and maintain active relationships with government agencies and participate in regulatory meetings at both the local and state levels
- Support retail stores during emergency events that interrupt business
- Collaborate with operations, marketing, and legal teams to ensure compliance with menu, nutrition, and allergen labeling requirements
- Partner with operations, marketing, and food service on written food safety, quality, and sanitation guidance and documentation
- Assist with new store development and remodeling to ensure regulatory agency requirements are met and address issues raised by local plan reviewers
- Implement and monitor regulatory requirements for Department of Agriculture related to food safety, egg safety, and Country of Origin Labeling (COOL)
- Partner with Human Resources and operations teams to develop and implement training programs related to food safety
- Perform other duties as required and/or assigned
- Employee must be able to perform essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
Don't see the career you're looking for?
Connect with us to stay up to date on Buc-ee's career news!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.