JOB FILLED - Quality Assurance and Food Safety Manager
Boulder Organic Foods has an immediate opening for a Quality Assurance and Food Safety Manager (QA). Reporting directly to the Operations Manager based in Niwot, Colorado, just outside of Boulder, CO.
This role provides overall direction, development, maintenance, training, certification auditing, verification, and validation for the Boulder Organic Foods, LLC Food Safety and Quality Plans. This role serves as the SQF Practitioner as well as the company point of contact for the FDA, USDA, State of Colorado Health Department, SQF, Organic, and Gluten-Free Certification Bodies.
- Responsible for the consistent quality and food safety of all food products produced by Boulder Organic Foods, LLC.
- Serves as the company contact for all governmental regulatory agencies with respect to food safety/quality and maintains compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Responsible for development and oversight of FDA Food Safety and USDA HACCP Plans.
- Authoring and development of the company SQF System Food Safety and Quality Plans and the associated Policies, Prerequisite Programs, Standard Operating Procedures, Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures, Work Instructions, Logs and Forms.
- Maintaining compliance and certification for the SQF System, The National Organic, and Gluten-Free programs. Conducts internal audits and arranges third party auditing to demonstrate compliance to certification guidelines.
- Works in conjunction with the Production Supervisor to find root cause and perform corrective action for deviations to Food Safety and Food Quality Programs.
- Key member of the Label Review process
- Training of all employees on the SQF System as noted in the Training Needs Analysis.
- Serves as SQF Practitioner and HACCP Coordinator.
- Provides scientific analysis of products and processes to improve product quality and consistency as well as improvement of the SQF System.
- Verifies and Validates the SQF System as a whole, and makes necessary correction or changes as needed.
- This position is supported by a backup SQF Practitioner, the Director of Operations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced working knowledge of Microbiology and Chemistry and their application as they relate to Food Safety and Quality.
- Ability to problem solve and create food safety and quality processes and corrective actions.
- Initiative — ability to work independently; ensure responsive timely follow-up; meeting of deadlines; demonstrate a sense of urgency; ability to prioritize; organizational skills.
- Excellent Communication Skills — efficient and effective oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels of the organization; builds and maintains strong relationships with peers.
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to foster a positive and productive environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that fluctuates in response to customer demand.
- Commitment to company values.
Food Safety and Quality Responsibilities:
- Oversees the continuous improvement of Food Safety and Quality Plans
- Prerequisite Programs: GMPs, Allergen Management, Crisis Management, Sanitation, Facility and Grounds, Management of Pests and Vermin, Storage of Hazardous Chemicals, Calibration, Label Review, Control of Foreign Matter, Water Supply, Shipping and Receiving, Complaint Management, Product Trace & Withdrawal, and Training.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Food Science or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in food production plant operations; Cook/Chill experience a major plus.
- Proficient with general business and manufacturing software including MS Office and working knowledge of ERP systems a plus.
- Proven track record of improved results in the areas of quality, safety, service, and cost.
- Certified HACCP and PCQI training required. Implementing SQF Systems training and examination with passing score required. Working knowledge of GMP, HACCP, and SQF Food Safety and Quality codes. Experience in an SQF facility preferred.
- Have an understanding of the requirements to implement and maintain SQF Food Safety and Quality systems for all products and facilities covered in the company’s scope of certification.
- Experience with government regulatory requirements in the processing of food and ability to work with regulatory bodies such as the FDA, USDA, OTCO, GFCO, OSHA, etc.
- Competitive salary: $65k - $87k DOE
- Health Insurance, Life Insurance
- Retirement benefits: 401k
- Company Paid - Dental, Vision, LTD/STD
- Generous PTO/Sick Plan
“The Boulder Organic brand and products would be nothing without the fantastic people behind the scenes. We are proud to work with a happy, inspiring and incredibly talented team. We thrive on collaboration, and make it a priority to work hard and have fun!”
Reporting to this position: QA Technician(s)
Coverage Personnel: Director of Operations, Production Supervisor
Provides coverage for: QA Technician(s)
FSLA Status: Exempt/Salaried
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.