Senior Food Safety / Microbiologist Manager
GENERAL DESCRIPTION – PURPOSE OF ROLE:
Candidate will provide leadership to BLUE’s Food Protection Program, insuring that proper processes are adhered to guarantee Food Protection and Food Safety Duties. These programs will include, but not be limited to: GMP’s, HACCP and Pre-Requisite Programs, Cleaning and Sanitization, Environmental Control, Finished Product Release and Microbiological support as needed.
• Development and implementation of food protection projects to meet Company needs.
• Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to environmental and finished product microbiological requirements.
• Ensure that the reporting of data and maintenance of records is documented. Also, ensure that interpretation of the data is correct and that the results are effectively communicated to supervising individuals and corrective actions are adequately documented and executed.
• Ensure products are commercialized in accordance with Food Safety standards.
• Position will be responsible to insure all corporate microbiological lab requirements are met.
• Provide guidance, train and develop the plant Food Safety resources using the principles of Coaching & Feedback and developing competency of those resources.
• Provide guidance, train and develop the plant microbiologists using the principles of Coaching & Feedback as well as the Competency Development Map for Microbiology.
• Write protocols, challenge studies, validations and reports to thoroughly document all activities, including C&S, laboratory, waste removal, and special research or investigation projects.
• Works with teams and various sites in regards to issues relating to Microbiology standards.
• Develop and drive strategies to ensure conformance to Pest Control, Sanitation and Food Protection requirements.
• Works with all suppliers (Finished Product Manufacturing, raw materials and packaging) to drive quality (Food Protection) upstream in the Supply Chain.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS REQUESTED:
• Managing proactive research and government regulations on product safety.
• Investigating and reporting on food protection issues.
• Coordination of food protection issues with appropriate authorities in the Company, Government and customer base.
• Conducts new site Qualification Audits
• Ongoing audits of all facilities to ensure compliance to Food Safety requirements.
• Coordinates the investigation of micro issues at the manufacturing sites
• Develops and provides micro and food safety training
• Develops Food Safety and Micro standard operating procedures
• Ability to set priorities, utilize and coordinate resources and manage projects from start to finish.
• Develops and conducts Challenge and Validation Studies.
• Five to ten years’ experience in plant microbiology, environmental programs, pest control, cleaning or sanitation with a food manufacturing company.
• Knowledge of manufacturing processes, GMPs, Food Safety, and Quality.
• HACCP, SQF, PCQI Certifications.
• Knowledgeable in FSMA Requirements
• Solid understanding of sanitation concepts, chemical and the ability to work with cleaning chemical companies
• Knowledge of process control and general food manufacturing principles.
• General knowledge of pest control procedures and requirements.
PREFERRED SKILLS, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
• Proficient in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills.
• Food or Drug Manufacturing site experience required
• Knowledge of process control and general food manufacturing principles
• Effective written and verbal skills.
• Excellent training and presentation skills and the ability to explain food safety concepts to those not specialized in the field.
• Experience writing protocols and SOPs
• Excellent written and communication skills
• Excellent training and presentation skills. Ability to explain food safety concepts to non-technical individuals.
• Ability to travel 50 to 70% of time.
• Auditing manufacturing and material sites for food safety compliance.
M.S. Degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Chemistry, or related field (PhD preferred).
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.