Raw Material & Supplier FSQA Manager
Blount Fine Foods is a private, family owned company that has been in the food business since 1880. Our product line includes refrigerated and frozen gourmet soups, side dishes and entrees for food service and retail. The company, headquartered in Fall River, MA, is the largest producer of Clam Chowder in New England and the largest manufacturer of Lobster Bisque in the country.
Lead and coordinate Blount Fine Foods Raw Material & Vendor Program. Coordinate and provide a cohesive interface between Manufacturing, Purchasing, R & D and Suppliers on quality, food safety and technical matters. This position needs to be able to relate to employees working on the floor of a manufacturing facility and also successfully relate to upper management within Blount and the suppliers.
HACCP, food fraud and preventative controls are programs critical to the safety of our products. This position provides the risk assessment and hazard analysis of food ingredients and the suppliers’ processes and recommends control measures to mediate the potential risks. Sourcing high quality ingredients is a global initiative. Understanding and perhaps managing foreign supplier verification programs will be essential in this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Guarantees effectiveness of new supplier assessment and approval.
- Supplier assessment provides the frame work to assure Blount products are safe and the suppliers has the right processes in place.
- Manages and continues to develop the Hazard analysis and risk assessment for suppliers and raw materials.
Validates adequacy of material specifications and ensures performance.
- Improves specification content in food safety and quality attributes.
- Contribute to improving raw material quality by helping develop consistent raw material attributes and specifications.
- Development of corporate specifications for raw materials.
- Interface for resolution of raw material non conformities.
- Acts as a technical expert or involves technical experts to resolve issues that affect quality service, cost. Provides direction and management in resolving issues related to poor quality.
- Manages and directs continuous quality improvement for suppliers and raw materials. Has ownership for development accuracy and improvement of quality metrics.
- Performs supplier audits and writes audit reports for suppliers and approves supplier audit responses, corrective actions, tracks categories and total score and develops follow up action recommendations.
- Contributes to improving raw material quality by helping develop consistent raw material attributes and specifications.
- Organizes and reports on supplier food safety assessments and recommends an action plan to understand the impact of the assessment gaps.
- Approves supplier selection through robust qualification processes, including supplier audits.
- Supports new raw materials product qualifications.
- Communicates audit findings to the affected departments and to Quality Assurance management.
- Assists in the performance of internal audits, as required.
- Identifies vendor/supplier quality and compliance issues utilizing customer complaint data; works with internal departments to escalate, resolve and prevent identified issues.
- Identifies, measures, implements and reports on continuous improvement initiatives regarding raw material quality, supplier audits and qualification process.
- Reviews and tracks/trends all supplier complaint investigations.
- Manages active raw material risk in conjunction with Purchasing.
- Communicates raw material testing criteria with quality technicians.
- Provides timely assessment, disposition, and feedback to operations teams.
- Leads and supports root cause problem solving tools for investigating raw material food safety and quality compliance issues.
- Provides supplier quality data to Senior Management and measures critical supplier quality metrics.
- Responsible for collaborating with other departments to maintain the entire supplier and material qualification process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities for Food Safety
- Responsible for completing required paperwork accurately and honestly.
- Must adhere to and enforce posted GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) when working within the production facility.
- Responsible for reporting suspicious packages, activities and individuals.
- If monitoring CCPs (Critical Control Points), must be trained in HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) and adhere to approved HACCP plan(s).
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors degree in a related field or equivalent and 3 + years related quality assurance experience.
- Certifications preferred: Food Fraud; FSVP; PCQI; Supplier Quality Professional Certification; SQF Practitioner certification
We offer: Medical, dental and vision benefits 401k with Company match and Profit Sharing Plan Paid time off including vacation, sick time and holidays Education Assistance Program Life Insurance and Short Term Disability Discounts on Blount products at Company retail locations.
Bachelors or better.
Quality Professional Certification
Food Fraud Certificate
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.