R&D Manager - Product Development
Blommer is a family-owned company that’s been in operation for over 75 years. We are looking for hard-working, dedicated employees to join us in our mission of bringing chocolate to life.
Functional area: R&D Product Development
Here’s what you should know about working at Blommer:
- Safety is our number one priority. We are committed to providing a safe working environment.
- We make chocolate that you, your family, and your friends eat. This means that we wear special gear, maintain a clean workspace, and take extra precautions to make sure our product is safe to eat.
- We go the extra mile to make sure customers’ orders are fulfilled on time and correctly.
- We are family owned and proud of our history. You will get to know our President and see him and other family members on the production floor.
- We’re not afraid of hard work. The process of making chocolate can be hot, noisy, and dusty.
- Much like our sweet tooth, chocolate manufacturing doesn’t stop - we operate 24/7, which means our employees must be willing to work overtime and be flexible in their work schedules.
Sounds good to you? Here’s how you will bring chocolate to life:
Position: R&D Manager - Product Development
The R&D Product Development (PD) Manager is a subject matter expert in the field of chocolate, chocolate process and applications focused on assessing, developing and implementing new product concepts, proprietary blends and process technologies for the cocoa and chocolate markets. The primary responsibility of this position is strategically focused to secure new business by partnering with sales to align/create Blommer capabilities to meet customer specification. Additionally, the R&D PD Manager role is to develop R&D individuals on staff; plus establish, foster, and monitor performance expectations; define key performance goals, evaluate and provide feedback, set an example of company core values and ensure staff works in an efficient and safe manner. This role promotes, aligns, and leads site teams to drive technical service support for external and internal stakeholders. The R&D PD Manager strategically leverages internal stakeholder partnerships, comprehends complex problems and presents prioritized solutions, leads full commercialization scope of products, and helps customers in successful application of our products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with sales team on technical selling of Blommer products to support customer needs, leverage partnerships, meet customer specs, and help customers in application of our products. Follow up with customer or sales on effectiveness of samples generated, trial runs, new applications. Ensure effective flow of communication within R&D department and key support team such as sensory, regarding ongoing activities, upcoming projects, trial runs, sample generation, results and other pertinent information. Inform sales, internal staff regarding any problems being incurred by customers and resulting action plan.
- Establish and monitor performance expectations for R&D staff; define key performance goals, evaluate and provide feedback. Set example for how people should be treated; address discipline, performance and/or rule violations; ensure staff works in an efficient and safe manner complying with all Company Policies and Practices. Participate in the interviewing, hiring, training for departmental staff.
- Participates in stage gate approval review process of new opportunities, determine feasibility of running new products or ingredients in production. Implements corporate process and procedures associated with product development standards and full commercialization of products. Connects with identified internal site stakeholders associated with commercialization process. Ensure sales and internal team are updated on new product status and launches, plus oversees commercialization criteria for new products
- Manages site product development activities. Aligns team resources and priorities associated with key initiatives; reports on product development monthly metrics. Manages planning, implementation, and execution of process changes and project activity at site associated with targeted key accounts to support sales growth and key productivity initiatives
- Develop and measure appropriate physical parameters of product based on customer needs and submit sample to customer. Develop and issue formula and nutritional to costing for pricing; evaluate current product formulations for optimal usage of raw ingredients; consider potential reformulations of ingredients and/or ingredient substitutions. Participate in daily taste panels. Participate in conducting customer, visitor tours. Maintain awareness of current trends, literature in the cocoa/chocolate market.
- Maintain database system of R&D products, projects, open work requests that can be accessed by R&D Senior Management to understand scope of work activities. Maintain site product portfolio book and work with cross functional teams to perform routine rationalization and gap analysis
Will be required to perform other duties as requested, assigned, and directed by supervision
Can you meet these qualifications? If so, we want to hear from you!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, or equivalent field.
- Hands-on position, work is performed in laboratory environment. Occasionally exposed to heat, cold, noise, dust Must be able to climb ladder, bend, and stoop, stand for prolonged periods of time. Requires extended periods of standing, walking, climbing, and sitting. Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds. Must be able to taste and consume chocolate and related products
- Up to 25-30% travel
- At least 5 years’ experience in R&D food manufacturing operations with more than 3-5 years team managerial experience.
You made it this far – what are you waiting for? Apply now!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.