Manager, Food Safety & Compliance
The Food Safety & Compliance Manager is responsible for day to day operations of Big Lots' food safety and compliance program, including overseeing food recalls and related reporting, leading investigations of potential food safety allegations, recommending private label food and HBC product quality/testing specifications and label reviews.
1. Lead the Food Safety Culture at Big Lots: drive continuous improvement of food safety at all levels including stores, distribution centers, and merchant teams; provide leadership and direction to all aspects of Food Safety, including process development, regular training to merchant teams, and operational audits; build internal capacity around food import safety and private label brands.
2. Ensure compliance with global food safety and quality programs: manage Big Lots' Foreign Supplier Verification Program (FSVP) under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA); own implementation of FSVP program in conjunction with third-party vendors and agents; support supply chain selection and monitoring processes.
3. Develop strategies to trend, track, analyze and report potentially hazardous products: analyze customer reports and returns data; recommend appropriate corrective actions and business solutions; ensure that only safe and compliant food products are sold by Big Lots.
4. Serve as Big Lots recall coordinator: serve as point person for quality assurance and foodborne illness response regarding all FDA regulated products; ensure one consistent process from start to finish; provide guidance to field teams during ongoing recalls; track total business impacts to ensure vendor reimbursement.
5. Provide support for Big Lots private label food and OTC/HBC program: offer labeling guidance by reviewing and building Nutritional Fact Panels (NFP); reviewing Drug Fact Panels (DFP); review claims substantiation for both; participate in product development.
6. Manage the internal and external audit and inspection processes to ensure related federal, state and local compliance (ie., state agriculture inspection, USDA/FDA registrations, etc.).
1. Highly advanced technical aptitude. Knowledge in key business areas of food safety with a thorough understanding of risk principles and test methodologies.
2. Ability to analyze, disaggregate information in a structured way, identify core issues, and synthesize options moving forward to resolution. Also, the ability to predict future issues and concerns. Ability to stay organized and manage multiple tasks and projects at once.
3. Ability to communicate technical information effectively within all levels of the organization. Ability to remain calm and focused during crisis situations.
4. Ability to balance and prioritize workload for a portfolio of projects and ability to educate and assist less experienced staff. Previous management and training experience preferred.
5. Ability to apply technical expertise to benefit the larger organization. Ability to influence and drive positive results.
6. BS in Environmental or Public Health, Food Science, Food Safety, Biology, Microbiology or related technical, culinary or engineering discipline. Other food industry experience desirable; e.g. manufacturing, distribution, retail.
7. Multiunit/chain restaurant, retail or manufacturing experience in leading and facilitating food safety and quality operations (minimum of 5 - 7 years).
8. Applied knowledge of PCQI, HACCP, SSOPs, GMPs, FDA and all other applicable State and Local health and food safety code. PCQI certification mandatory.
9. Experience managing product recalls, foodborne illness situations, and interface with regulatory authorities (health departments, FDA, USDA, and CDC).
10. Basic knowledge of food microbiology.
11. Proficiency in SAP and Microstrategy essential.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.