Food Safety Specialist
A Food Safety Specialist will lead the Food Safety programs for the manufacturing site to mitigate food safety risks and ensure product safety, regulatory and customer requirements are met in compliance. Development & deployment of food safety training to the site and support functions (HACCP, Basic Food Safety). Lead for nutritional labeling and all regulatory requirements for labeling.
- Ensures compliance to and audits HACCP plans
- Performs GMP audits and ensures compliance
- Performs internal quality audits
- Coordinate third part audits
- Implement, maintain, and improve SQF (Safety Quality Food) program and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices
- Develop SQF procedures
- Train employees on SQF procedures
- Validate SQF procedures
- Evaluate food safety concerns in facility and implement programs to eliminate hazards
- Work aside Quality Manager to uphold and further all regulatory and third party certifications and requirements to guarantee compliance (e.g. USDA, FDA, FISMA, Drug and Cosmetic Administration, SQF, AIB or knowledge of BRC/HACCP, Animal Welfare, etc.)
- Regulatory compliance with EPA license and compliance handling.
- Responsible for providing site input to the Material Risk Assessments (MRA’s)
- Leads root cause analysis investigation of food safety incidents and effective implementation of corrective/preventive actions
- The role partners with supply and the Q&FS team to drive continual improvement of food safety programs through robust risk assessments, clear procedures and work instructions, trending and reporting, creation and delivery of food safety training.
- The role facilitates effective implementation of regulatory requirements
- Lead nutritional labeling and all regulatory requirements for labeling to meet all CFR and IDFA requirements
- Ensures the development, compliance, and certification of HACCP and other food safety programs
- Leads the facility in third party and customer audit preparation. Facilitates all food safety audit events.
- Ensure key traceability, inspection program management, vendor management, and microbial program metrics are established, and the delivery of the established metrics and Key Performance Indices.
- Ensures adherence to the required food safety laws, regulations, corporate policies, and practices.
- Directs, plans, and implements traceability testing and monitoring.
- Accountable for HACCP and food safety training for the facility to ensure compliance and execution of required programs.
- Ensures adherence to company policies and all standard operating procedures/instructions.
- Responsible for compliance with all regulations. Assure production facility is in a proper sanitary condition at all times, including allergen control and pest control guidelines. Compliance with food safety policies and procedures.
- Drive continuous improvement
- Write SOPs and work instructions
- Effectively work with production team and other members of quality team to develop and maintain a robust and effective food safety and quality system
- BS degree in Food Science, Food Safety, Engineering, Chemistry or related technical field and 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing site managing quality and food safety management
- SQF practitioner/FMSA Certified
- Knowledge of and experience with FMSA, HACCP, and Quality Management Systems
- Knowledge of GMP, GLP, food allergens, pest control, sanitation, and food safety regulations
- Familiarity with FDA and government regulations
- Experience with Kosher, Organics, Nutrition information, MSDS, Country of Origin
- Possess excellent written and verbal skills and be proficient at Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Work environment involves moderate risks or discomforts which may require special safety precautions working around moving machines in production facilities, Protective clothing or gear such as goggles, gloves and shoes may be required. Must be able to work in a cold environment.
Work requires some physical strain such as long periods standing and walking in production facility and lifting of moderately heavy items such as test equipment kits and product cases. Other physical demands include climbing, crouching, and reaching. Must be able to lift 50 pounds continually throughout the shift.
Equal Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.