JOB FILLED - Senior Lab Technician
Generally 8 hour shifts , rotating between 1st and 2nd shift, with the need to work overtime, weekends and holidays on occasion.
Bartlett Milling Company is seeking an experienced laboratory technician to perform a variety of quality assurance tests on flour and feed samples, as well as support our lab operations with training and leadership responsibilities. Working under the supervision of the Lab Supervisor, the Senior Lab Technician should have detailed knowledge of laboratory quality assurance control protocols and methodologies. Our ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail and a willingness to learn and follow company procedures. Additional tasks will include, but not be limited to, setting up equipment, recording results, cleaning and maintaining lab equipment, monitoring inventory supplies and ordering when necessary.
- Perform your job tasks in a safe manner in compliance with Bartlett safety programs and procedures.
- Perform and record lab tests and quality checks on feed and flour samples pursuant company policy, standard laboratory practices and quality assurance protocols.
- Conduct non-technical routine laboratory tests and procedures under the direction of lab supervisor.
- Set up and operate laboratory equipment in preparation for specimen examinations.
- Open, separate, number and arrange specimens for laboratory examination and trace results.
- Maintain simple laboratory records and inventory for supplies and reagents.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies by cleaning and maintaining quality assurance records.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and company procedures.
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance, calling for repairs.
- Maintain daily logs of lab activity per company policies.
- Resolve problems by examining and evaluating data and selecting corrective steps.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Keep laboratory supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshoot breakdowns; maintain supplies; perform preventive maintenance; call for repairs.
- Ensure GMP policies and procedures are followed and enforced throughout the facility.
- Complete required training and certifications; stay current and up to date on all regulations and requirements.
- Cleanup and dispose of spills company policy and applicable regulations.
- Be an active participant in the facility hazardous material/emergency responsible teams.
- Effectively communicate tasks, directives and policies with both senior management and supervised workers.
- Ensure that assigned tasks are completed in safe, best practices manner.
- Be familiar with all operations, systems, policies and procedures effecting the mill, warehouse and/or cleaning house.
- Provide clinical laboratory leadership and expertise in all areas related to laboratory operations and laboratory safety programs.
- Detailed knowledge of complex laboratory operations, quality assurance and control protocols.
- Should be knowledgeable of all federal, state and local laboratory, food safety and health regulations.
Compensation and Benefits
Wage depends on experience and education
Bartlett offers a generous benefits package including
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Profit sharing plan
- Health Insurance, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability coverage paid 100% for employee
- Dental and Vision insurance available
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
Required Education and Experience
- Prefer Bachelor’s Degree in chemical biology, medical technology, physical science or a related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 1+ years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of flour milling or feed milling is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and priorities.
- Strong analytical skills in the evaluation of situations, priorities and project demands.
- Must have ability to work well in a team environment
Physical Demands and Requirements
- This job is not overly physically strenuous. You must be able to sit and/or stand and operate lab equipment and to utilize computers.
- Occasionally, you will need to lift 50 lbs and climb stairs.
- This job requires the ability to read and comprehend written and oral operational and safety instructions and related rules, policies and memos, and to communicate clearly with your co-orkers and supervisors.
- It is important to have vision and hearing skills that help you communicate with good interpersonal skills.
- You also need the ability to detect odors and the ability to understand and discern safety warning systems.
This job is mainly in a controlled-atmosphere environment, indoors in an office building , but you will have frequent exposure to outdoor and processing areas of the facility.
Bartlett Milling Company is an affiliate of Bartlett and Company - a diverse, agri-business company headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri. Bartlett is more than 100 years old, and FORBES ranks it among the largest private companies in the U.S. Its principal businesses are grain merchandising and logistics, exporting, flour milling and feed manufacturing. Family-owned and growth oriented, the company has facilities in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, North and South Carolina, Virginia and Mexico. Financially strong and highly disciplined, we use our expertise to provide our customers with the highest quality and best service possible. Throughout our operations, safety, cleanliness, and facility maintenance are a top priority and, as such, all employees must be absolutely committed to following our disciplined safety policies and procedures.
Candidates with the following backgrounds, often make great senior lab technicians:
Lab, Laboratory, Quality Control, QC, Quality Assurance, QA, Flour, Mill, Milling, Testing, Feed
All employees shall be subject to drug testing and background checks.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt.
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions of the job. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate.
Bartlett will not accept unsolicited applications or resumes from placement services, recruiters or staffing firms. Bartlett WILL NOT pay any placement fee for unsolicited applications unless a written agreement is in place, in advance, for a specific job requisition. Unless such a written agreement is in place, any unsolicited resume shall be deemed Bartlett property and no fees shall be due from Bartlett to any third party under any circumstances.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.