Food Safety Manager
Anthony Vineyards, Inc. is a vertically integrated family owned agri-business headquartered in Bakersfield, California with growing operations in The San Joaquin and Coachella Valleys. We are one of California’s leading fresh table grape growers specializing in Organic, Niche and Conventional grapes. In addition to grapes we also farm dates, citrus and row-crop vegetables.
We are looking for a Food Safety Manager who will assist the organization to implement programs to manage risks inherent in growing, harvesting, storing and packing grapes. Working knowledge of food safety certifications, regulatory requirements and related management systems is preferred.
The candidate should be an independent, motivated self-starter who values working in a team setting. Working experience in the subject areas is preferred. Bilingual communication in English and Spanish is required. This is a year-round position. Some travel is required to fulfill job requirements.
- Technical Experience: implement, manage and maintain a successful food safety and sustainability program, utilizing best management practices intended to maintain a safe sustainable environment.
- Leadership: manage and direct a team to implement a sustainable food safety program that meets all regulatory requirements and company goals for safety.
- Coordination: work with department managers and staff to develop and implement an effective food safety program, including training programs that address regulatory requirements and company standards for food safety.
- Communication: Develop communication resources to keep managers and staff informed about food safety laws, regulations and company initiatives; manage record keeping, data collection and reports.
Specific Duties include:
- Oversee implementation of Food Safety & Sustainability Program and create best practices to assess performance and develop opportunities for improvement.
- Develop, review and update standard operating procedures related to food safety.
- Ensure a workplace culture that understands and implements sustainable safety practices.
- Primary contact for third parties and customers with regard to Food Safety questions and concerns.
- Work directly with Food Safety Team and Operations.
- Tracks and reports audit results to Operations senior management.
- Coordinates communication with department managers to assure timely and accurate reporting of food safety issues.
- Responsible for ensuring all areas comply with company GFS systems as well as any Federal and State regulatory guidelines.
- Oversees coordination and documentation of the food safety training programs to include: third party audits, GAP, SOP’s, and Internal Auditing.
- Manage reporting and communication to prepare for audits and assessments.
- Stay up to date on the latest regulatory requirements, and constantly re-assess and challenge company standards to ensure the safest food supply possible.
- Performs other duties appropriate to the position as requested by Management.
- Working knowledge implementing Global GAP, FSMA, food safety and sanitation standards.
- Knowledge of USDA, FDA, FSMA & SQF standards.
- Experience in data management and reporting to help drive decisions.
- Proficiency in English required, Spanish preferred.
- Work as a contributing team member, while being self-motivated.
- Ability to implement projects under pressure.
- Working experience motivating and leading teams in a positive manner.
- Familiar and comfortable using Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word and Excel.
- Travel is required to service company operations.
- Must maintain a current California State Driver’s License, with driving record that meets requirements of the company and Insurance provider.
Working Conditions, Physical Requirements:
- Ability to sit, stand, walk for extended periods of time and access stairs, in a farm environment, often on uneven ground and occasionally in an office or manufacturing environment.
- Ability to bend and stoop frequently.
- Ability to work long hours, up to seven (7) days a week during critical growing and harvesting times.
- Ability to constantly use far and near vision, depth perception and/or color vision.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- May be exposed to loud machinery/equipment noise, chemicals, odors, hot/cold temperatures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or at least 10 years industry experience
- Bi Lingual (English/Spanish)
- United States (Required)
- Global GAP & FSMA: 4 years (minimum)
- Supervisory: 4 years (minimum)
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.