JOB FILLED - Food Technologist
ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal and Italy. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
The Research Technician will perform bench top experiments in support of new and existing food products. The position will support a variety of projects through our innovation pipeline that include new product and line extension development; alternate ingredient evaluation; quality improvement; and productivity programs. Additional responsibilities include the preparation and testing of product formulations using standard lab and food preparation equipment; cleaning lab and lab equipment; maintaining ingredient inventory and ordering raw materials; conducting product tastings and sensory testing with R&D and cross functional team members; and developing production formulas and writing specifications. Minimal travel to other company work sites may be required and will be based on the needs of the business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The position includes the following and other duties and special projects may be assigned:
- Supports and may lead new product and line extension development, alternate ingredient evaluation, and quality improvement projects
- Execution of formulation development activities as assigned, including dispensing of raw materials, generation of product samples for internal or external evaluation, and identifying relevant applications
- Prepares and tests finished products using standard lab and food preparation equipment
- Conduct shelf life tests on new products, including analytical testing, sensory evaluation, sending samples to microbiology lab and recording results
- Follows R&D standard operating procedures to document experiments and results in development batch records/protocols and/or laboratory notebooks
- Facilitates and participates in sensory testing (a.k.a. product tastings)
- Observes and participates in product reviews with R&D and cross functional team members
- Creates finished good specifications, as assigned
- Works with product/process development team to establish formulation methods that ensure consistent quality during scale-up production and assists with pilot plant or scale-up trials, when needed
- Follows established procedures while cleaning lab and lab equipment and assists with the performance and documentation of periodic sanitation and safety audits
- Adheres to established General Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), safety procedures, company policies, quality policies and procedures as they apply to this position
- Maintains accurate ingredient/raw material inventory and orders raw ingredients from external suppliers or internal plants
- Responsible for maintaining a neat, clean and orderly work area
- Maintains timely, accurate, and complete reporting of routine and special project information
- Keeps Manager informed, both verbally and in writing, of any issues within assigned area of responsibility
- Effectively communicates status updates to Technical Team Lead and/or R&D Manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to organize workload, prioritize responsibilities, meet deadlines for deliverables, and multi-task on several projects individually as well as in a team environment
- Ability to use creativity and successfully apply newly learned concepts to daily tasks
- Must be detail oriented to ensure accurate execution of projects and tasks
- Ability to maintain and operate laboratory equipment according to equipment instructions and SOP’s
- Ability to learn and utilize new computer-based systems and experimental techniques
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to work independently and/or as part of a team
- Must have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Must be 18 years of age or older and be eligible to work in the United States
- Must successfully complete all pre-employment screenings and drug test
Required Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with a major in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, or related science field and 3-12 months of applicable experience
Preferred Education and/or Experience
- Experience with Genesis Software is highly preferred
- Some applicable work experience in a food manufacturing or pharmaceutical lab environment is highly preferred
- Consumer Goods Industry experience is also preferred
- Some experience working in food preparation and/or processing is a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.