Environmental Health and Safety Manager
The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager is responsible for developing and facilitating the delivery of environmental health and safety activities, and verifying the program’s effectiveness in reducing risk. In the delivery of these activities we draw upon the ideas of our workforce to make safety and environmental health protection an integral part of our everyday activities.
Furthermore, the EHS Manager will work with management and other team members across the Company to support a strong proactive safety culture and an effective and compliant safety and regulatory compliance program. The EHS Manager will ensure Agriculture Capital Operations complies with all applicable environmental health and safety regulations.
- Develop, direct, assist and support company EHS policies and programs.
- Monitor, analyze and report EHS data for trends and areas of concern.
- Keep abreast of legislative/regulatory changes of both an Environmental Health and Safety nature that may affect business functions.
- Serve as a liaison between decisions made regarding interviewing potential EHS candidates, hiring, training employees, planning and assigning, directing and evaluating work, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintain involvement with government/professional organizations such as VPP, OSHA, NIOSH, NRC ASSE, NFPA, the National Safety Council and our company insurance provider.
- Implement, manage, and coordinate education and communication needs, and administer EHS budget requirements.
- Ensure corporate policies/practices are current, complaint and administered regarding federal, state and local regulations and Company requirements.
- Develop rules, regulations and operating procedures minimizing exposures to EHS hazards and risks.
- Develop and maintain responsibility for all ACO controlled EHS policies, plans, programs and procedures.
- Inform appropriate parties of recommended compliance/communication changes
- Manager OSHA, VPP, ISO 14001, ergonomics and other training needs and improvement programs.
- Participate in annual professional development in addition to the required education/ training of this position.
- Accountability measures include: OSHA incident rate, employee engagement initiatives and safety training.
- Oversee the reporting of workers' compensation injuries, quarterly claim review and audits.
- Maintain OSHA documentation the MSDS books and chemical lists. Maintain thorough knowledge of federal and state OSHA regulations; maintain up-to-date knowledge of safety codes and regulations; distribute and/or post new or revised safety standards that affect the company.
- Review all field safety audits, risk assessments and make recommendations for improvements where necessary.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) or a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years related experience preferred. A combination of experience and training may be considered in lieu of a degree. Familiarity with a variety of EHS concepts, practices, and procedures including knowledge of applicable Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Department of Transportation (DOT), Department of Labor (DOL), environmental laws and other EHS laws recommended.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Associate Safety Professional (ASP)
- 30-hour OSHA General Industry and/or Construction Industry Certification
- OSHA 30-hour General Industry Trainer Certification
- 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Certification
- Experience in EHS operations and program implementation and management in an agriculture environment is preferred.
- Ability to interpret, read and analyze general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, policy and governmental regulations.
- Conscientious, detail-oriented, able to solve problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of people
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Able to apply basic algebra and geometry.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal safety related laws, CAL OSHA, Food Safety, Sustainability and other governmental compliance agencies.
- Bilingual – English and Spanish preferred.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.